Lacrosse Game Sports

Dartmouth Drops Close Battle with Brown on Senior Day, 13-11


{ element.remove(); }); } else{ let elementsToRemove = document.querySelectorAll(‘.postgame_3_nextgame’); elementsToRemove.forEach(element => { element.remove(); }); } ]]> HANOVER, N.H. — The Dartmouth men’s lacrosse team opened a 7-4 second-quarter lead, but Brown responded with nine of the next 10 goals to take a 13-8 advantage, on the way to a 13-11 win over the Big Green on Saturday at Scully-Fahey Field. Trailing by five in the fourth, the Big Green had one last run in them, scoring three goals in just 3:40 to pull within 13-11 with 7:35 remaining, but couldn’t get any closer. Sophomore Colin McGill capped off a tremendous season with four goals and one assist, finishing the year with 46 points (31 goals, 15 assists), the most points by a Dartmouth player since Ari Sussman had 48 in 2008.

Following the game, the program’s nine seniors and one fifth-year senior were all recognized on Senior Day.

The Big Green end the season 6-6 overall and 1-5 in Ivy League play. Despite a tough end to the year, Dartmouth still finishes the season with its most wins — and the first time with a .500 record — since 2008 when the Big Green were 7-7. Brown finishes the year 6-8 and 2-4 in the league.

“I thought it was a really good lacrosse game today… back and forth,” said Dartmouth head coach Brendan Callahan. “Both teams really played hard. I think it says a lot about both teams and programs with no postseason on the line, how much each team really wanted this game today. You could see it by how hard everybody was playing.”

Along with McGill’s five points, junior Nate Davis had two goals and an assist while four others recorded two points: sophomore Quinn Moore (two goals), senior Tommy Rogan (one goal one assist), freshman Emmett Paradine (one goal, one assist) and sophomore Brandon Ventarola (two assists).

Fifth-year Peter Rizzotti also scored a goal for the second consecutive week, while adding five groundballs and four caused turnovers to tie a career high. He finished his career with a program-record 64.

Marcus Wertheim led Brown with five points behind three goals and two assists.

Wertheim opened the scoring 2:45 into the opening quarter, but the Big Green answered with the next three — behind a goal from Moore and two consecutive from McGill. 

Brown responded with two straight, bridging the first and second quarters — and three of the next four — to pull even at four, before another three-goal Big Green run. This time, it was Rizzotti, Moore and Rogan who netted goals to give Dartmouth a 7-4 lead with 7:00 left in the second quarter.

The Big Green’s offense went cold over the ensuing minutes, as Brown ended the half with consecutive goals, then opened the third quarter with three in a row, to take a 9-7 lead just two minutes into the stanza.

Paradine scored from Ventarola on a delayed penalty at the 10:38 mark, but the Bears answered with four straight. Griffin King gave Brown a 13-8 lead just 1:07 into the fourth.

Dartmouth wouldn’t go away without a fight, as two goals from McGill, and an unassisted tally from Davis, pulled the Big Green within 13-11. Dartmouth had multiple chances down the stretch to get closer, but Brown’s defense stood tall.

“We did enough down the stretch there to give ourselves a chance,” said Callahan. “I thought we had four or five opportunities, but composure wise, we couldn’t keep it. A couple turnovers and we weren’t able to make enough plays. Give Brown credit; they were able to do enough there.

“That third-quarter run was the difference in the game,” said Callahan. “They were able to take the lead and build it up enough that we couldn’t come back.”

Final shots were 44-39 in favor of Dartmouth while the Bears held a 36-30 edge in groundballs. The Big Green were 21-of-23 on the clear, compared to Brown’s 19-of-23. Dartmouth was 0-for-2 on the extra man, snapping the nation’s longest streak of games with a man-up goal at 15.

The Big Green season was highlighted by a 4-0 start, as they were one of just two remaining undefeated teams in the nation in mid March. Dartmouth picked up a thrilling 20-16 nonleague win at Hobart in early March and received national attention on numerous occasions. The Big Green picked up a coveted Ivy League win later in March, defeating reigning NCAA Tournament team Harvard in overtime. The future is bright in Hanover as Dartmouth returns a large core of contributors in 2024, including its top five scorers.

Leave a Response