Lacrosse Game Sports

Big Green Suffer Second Straight Road Ivy League Defeat, Falling at Yale


Story Links


Next Game:


4/15/2023 | 1:00 PM

Apr. 15 (Sat) / 1:00 PM



History { element.remove(); }); } else{ let elementsToRemove = document.querySelectorAll(‘.postgame_3_nextgame’); elementsToRemove.forEach(element => { element.remove(); }); } ]]> NEW HAVEN, Conn. — Yale opened a commanding first-half lead and wouldn’t look back, as the Bulldogs handed the Dartmouth men’s lacrosse team a 21-11 defeat on Saturday afternoon at Reese Stadium. The Bulldogs won 22-of-34 faceoffs on the day, and one of the nation’s top offenses capitalized early and often. Leading the Big Green was sophomore Quinn Moore, who scored five goals to tie a career high. Classmate Brandon Ventarola had two goals and two assists while freshman Sam Cooper posted a career-high 15 saves in goal.
With the win, Yale improves to 5-4 and 1-3 in the Ivy League. Dartmouth falls to 6-3 and 1-2 in league play.
“Tough day for us, especially with the start, giving up eight in the first quarter,” said Dartmouth head coach Brendan Callahan. “I thought today was different than last week. We were ready to compete and I thought physically, we were ready today.
“Yale came out and made a lot of plays in the middle of the field. They’re certainly very athletic there and I thought that’s what contributed to going down early today — the clears, the groundballs, the 50/50s in the middle of the field. We need to make some more plays there early in the game.”
Along with Moore’s five points and Ventarola’s four, sophomore Colin McGill had two goals and one assists. He’s now had three or more points in eight of the nine games this season. Sophomore Nate Davis had a goal and assist while senior Tommy Rogan scored a goal.

Defensively, fifth-year Peter Rizzotti had a groundball and two caused turnovers.
Yale’s three starting attackmen combined for 15 goals and seven assists, led by six goals and three assists from Matt Brandau.
For a second straight week, Dartmouth’s opponent got off to a fast start. On Saturday, the Bulldogs led 2-0 just 1:15 in the contest. The Big Green answered as Davis got the Big Green on the board at 12:34 of the first quarter. However, Yale immediately responded with the next three goals.
The Big Green hung around over the ensuing minutes, behind a pair of Moore goals. His second of the afternoon pulled Dartmouth within 7-3 at 3:23 of the first quarter. But this time, Yale answered with four consecutive goals, and six of the next seven, to open a 13-4 lead with just over five minutes left in the second quarter.
Yale’s overall run reached 10-2, as a goal just 13:37 into the third quarter made the score 17-5.
The teams traded goals the rest of the game, until two straight Big Green goals — from Rogan and McGill — pulled Dartmouth within 21-11 at the final buzzer.
For the game, Yale held a 58-38 edge in shots and 38-19 advantage in groundballs. Senior Mitchell Myers was 12-of-33 facing off with four groundballs. The Big Green were 18-of-24 on clears, compared to the Bulldogs’ 12-of-15. Dartmouth was 1-for-4 on the extra man compared to Yale’s 4-of-8.

The Big Green will now return home for two of their final three games of the regular season, beginning by hosting No. 15 Princeton next Saturday at 1 p.m. on Alumni Day.
“We need to have a great week of practice,” said Callahan. “Certainly excited to be home at Scully-Fahey, especially this time of year. It’s a great venue for lacrosse. I know we’re going to have some folks back, some alumni back in town, We’ll get into the tape, we’re going to have a great week of practice and we’ll lay it all on the line next Saturday.”

Leave a Response