POTSDAM, N.Y. – RIT first-years Zoe Heffernan and Adele Jones each had two goals and two assists in the Tigers 15-9 win at Clarkson, Saturday.
Senior Baylee West scored three goals and junior Carrissa Hlywa, sophomore Lily DePalma and first-year Milena Stephen each scored two goals. Graduate student goalie Michelle Messenger made 15 saves
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Heffernan and DePalma scored back-to-back goals early in the first quarter to give RIT a 2-1 lead.
- West scored off an assist from Jones with 3:48 to play to give the Tigers a 3-2 lead.
- West scored her third goal of the half with 6:42 to play in a five-goal run by RIT to start the second quarter. Jones, Stephen and Hlywa also scored.
- Heffernan tallied her second goal late in the second quarter to give the Tigers a 9-3 halftime lead.
- Clarkson’s Madelynn Barnum scored early in the third quarter to cut the RIT lead to 9-4.
- Senior attack Kayleigh Ground tallied a free-position goal with 10:28 remaining to give the Tigers a 10-4 lead.
- The Golden Knights scored two straight goals to cut the RIT lead to 10-6.
- Jones broke the Clarkson run with her goal with 5:20 to play in the quarter to give the Tigers an 11-6 lead.
- Clarkson cut the RIT lead to 11-8 on Barnum’s goal in the closing seconds of the third quarter.
- DePalma scored off an assist from Heffernan with 7:13 to play in the fourth quarter to cap off a four-goal run by the Tigers to begin the quarter. Hlywa, first-year Serafina Kiselgof and Stephen each scored in the quarter.
- Clarkson’s Sofie Mangino tallied a late goal to make it a 15-9 final.
- RIT outshot Clarkson, 34-30.
- Clarkson won the ground-ball battle, 16-11
- The Tigers won 14-of-28 draw controls and were 17-of-21 on clears
RIT returns to action on Friday (March 24) against Vassar at 4:00 p.m.