ADDITIONAL INFO: Box Score | Season Stats | Men’s Lacrosse Tickets | Schedule | Roster
COLUMBUS, Ohio – The No. 15 Ohio State men’s lacrosse team earned its fourth win of the season Tuesday night, defeating Detroit Mercy, 19-6, at Ohio State Lacrosse Stadium. The game was the first under the lights at the stadium for the men’s program and the final home non-conference game of the regular season for the Buckeyes (4-3).
The Short Story
Ohio State’s offense was clicking right off the first faceoff as the team outscored the Titans (0-4), 7-1, in both the first and second quarters. By the end of the game, 11 different players recorded a goal for the Buckeyes and 13 players recorded a point.
Sophomore Ed Shean led Ohio State with a career-high tying five goals in the game. He and senior Jack Myers tied for the most points in the game with six. Myers led the way with five assists against the Titans.
Freshman Matt Caputo recorded his first career hat trick with three goals in the first half for Ohio State. Fellow freshmen Cullen Brown and Tate Jones each tallied their first points as Buckeyes in the game.
Defensively, Ohio State held Detroit Mercy to 26 shots on the day and just 10 on goal. The Buckeyes caused nine turnovers in the game, each by a different player.
Thee ground ball battle also went to the Buckeyes, with the team scooping up 31 in the game compared to the Titans’ 26. Greg Langermeier led non-faceoff players with four ground balls on the day while faceoff specialists Matthew Fritz and Drew Blanchard also grabbed four in the game.
Overall, Ohio State capitalized on 3-of-3 extra-man opportunities.
How The Goals Were Scored
- Ohio State took a two-goal lead within the first five minutes of the game off goals from Ed Shean (12:34) and Colby Smith (11:32).
- Detroit Mercy scored at 9:50 in the first quarter to make it 2-1, but the Buckeyes rattled off five more goals to take a 7-1 lead at the end of the first quarter. Five different players recorded a goal in the run, with Dillon Magee, Matt Caputo, Kyle Borda, Shean and Jack Myers finding the back of the net for Ohio State in a five-minute span.
- The Buckeyes saw their scoring streak stretch to 12 goals, adding another seven goals in the second quarter.
- Caputo tallied Ohio State’s first two goals of the quarter for three goals on the day. Shean tallied a hat trick in the second quarter alone for the Buckeyes while Borda added his second of the game and Connor Cmiel recorded one of his own.
- The Titans ended the Ohio State run with a goal at 1:11 in the first half. The Buckeyes led 14-2 after 30 minutes.
- Detroit Mercy scored the first three goals of the second half to cut into the Ohio State lead. But Magee and Connor Mitchell scored a goal apiece, making the score 16-5 in favor of the Buckeyes.
- The Titans’ Drew Kessenich scored the team’s sixth and final goal of the night at 12:07
- Ohio State closed out the contest with goals from Mitchell Pehllke (10:07), Tate Jones (7:04) and Mitchell Sandberg (4:26).
Shots: Ohio State 52, Detroit Mercy 26
Ground Balls: Ohio State 31, Detroit Mercy 26
Faceoffs: Ohio State 20-29, Detroit Mercy 9-29
Clears: Ohio State 20-21, Detroit Mercy 17-19
Extra Man: Ohio State 3-3, Detroit Mercy 3-7
Saves: Detroit Mercy 12, Ohio State 4
Turnovers: Ohio State 15, Detroit Mercy 18
Ohio State Scoring: Shean 5-1-6, Myers 1-5-6, Caputo 3-0-3, Borda 2-1-3, Magee 2-1-3, Pehlke 1-1-2, Cmiel 1-0-1, Jones 1-0-1, Mitchell 1-0-1, Sandberg 1-0-1, Smith 1-0-1, Brown 0-1-1, Nilson 0-1-1,
Ohio State hits the road for its final non-conference game of the regular season this weekend, making the trip to Colorado to play No. 19 Denver on Sunday. The Buckeyes and Pioneers face off at 2 p.m. ET from Peter Barton Lacrosse Stadium.