Lacrosse Game Sports

Big Green Pick Up Wild 20-16 Win at Hobart to Improve to 4-0


North Carolina

Next Game:

at North Carolina

3/19/2023 | 12:00 PM

ACC Network

Mar. 19 (Sun) / 12:00 PM

North Carolina

at North Carolina

History { element.remove(); }); } else{ let elementsToRemove = document.querySelectorAll(‘.postgame_3_nextgame’); elementsToRemove.forEach(element => { element.remove(); }); } ]]> GENEVA, N.Y. — The Dartmouth men’s lacrosse team found itself trailing 7-1 early in the second quarter, but responded in a big way, scoring 19 goals over the game’s final 42:38 to beat the Statesmen, 20-16 on Tuesday afternoon. The victory moves the Big Green’s record to 4-0, marking their best start since 2003. Dartmouth scored 20 goals for the first time since 2008 and beat Hobart, who falls to 3-3 with the loss, for the first time since 1955.
Freshman Emmett Paradine led the offense for a second straight game. This time, he doubled his previous five-point effort in Saturday’s 11-8 win over Siena that won him Ivy League Rookie of the Week. Paradine finished Tuesday with 10 points behind seven goals and three assists.

“Today was a heavyweight battle,” said Dartmouth head coach Brendan Callahan. “That’s what it felt like with them coming out swinging early, then us being able to climb back into it and basically get it to 0-0 at the half, and then to be able to keep answering the bell in the second half.”
With the win, the Big Green also handed the Statesmen their first-ever loss at Stiles Field at the Thomas B. Poole ’61 and Family Sports Dome.

Just two games after recording their largest margin of victory since 2004, the Big Green eclipsed 20 goals for the first time since a 21-12 win over Holy Cross on Mar. 25, 2008. It also marked the first time Dartmouth scored 20 on the road since a 23-13 win at Holy Cross on Mar. 17, 1999.
Dartmouth became the first team to score 20 against the Statesmen since No. 3 Syracuse scored 21 on Feb. 28, 2020. It was the first time Hobart allowed 20 goals at home since No. 15 Penn State scored 21 on Feb. 11, 2007.
“It was a game of runs… back and forth,” said Callahan. “Hobart is a great team. Coach Raymond does a great job coaching those guys up. To do what we did on two days’ rest, a five-hour bus trip and conditions causing us to come inside, we had a lot of chips stacked against us and I couldn’t be more proud of the team the way they came out and played today.”

After recording a goal and two assist in the first half, Paradine exploded for six goals and an assist in the second. There was one stretch in which he scored four goals in the span of 9:32 bridging the end of the third quarter and beginning of the fourth.
Sophomore Colin McGill was a spark in the first half, scoring four second-quarter goals. He finished the game with five, the third time in four games this season with five or more points. Junior Nate Davis recorded his second-career hat trick, finishing with three goals and an assist for a career-high four points.  Classmate Quinn Moore added four points via a goal and career-high three assists. Four other Big Green players scored a goal.
Entering the day with the top faceoff winning percentage in the nation, senior Mitchell Myers continued to impress. On Tuesday, he faced Hobart’s Adam Shea, who entered the day at 55.5 percent. Myers finished the day winning 21-of-39 (career highs for wins and attempts) with 13 groundballs.
After the teams traded the first two goals, the Statesmen reeled off the next six to take a 7-1 lead early in the second. Just over a minute after Hobart’s seventh goal, McGill finished his first of the day, from Davis, beginning a stretch of three Big Green goals in the span of 1:16 to quickly cut the deficit in half.
The run continued with a Moore man-up tally from Paradine at 7:15, then Paradine’s first of the game and McGill’s third to pull even at seven. The Statesmen broke their nearly 10-minute scoring drought, but McGill tied the score at eight in the final minute of the half.

The game of runs continued in the third quarter, with Paradine giving Dartmouth its first lead of the game, 9-8, less than four minutes in. Later in the stanza, sophomore long-stick midfielder Joe Azelby finished a transition goal with 3:53 on the third-quarter clock, giving the Big Green an 11-9 lead.
Hobart responded with the next two, but the Big Green answered with a 3-0 run. Paradine had a hand in all three goals to make it 14-11 at 14:16 of the fourth. Dartmouth wouldn’t trail the rest of the way, but Hobart wouldn’t go away quietly. The Statesmen scored three goals in 2:05 to pull within 16-15 with 8:29 still remaining, but the Big Green ended the game with four of the final five goals, good for the 20-16 victory.
Final shots were 44-41 in favor of Dartmouth while the Big Green held a 40-28 edge in groundballs. Dartmouth freshman goaltender Sam Cooper made seven saves, as did Hobart’s Loukas Sotiropoulo.
The Big Green now have 12 days before their next game due to final exams. They return to action on Sunday, Mar. 19 at No. 15 North Carolina.

Leave a Response