No. 3 Cornell Tops No. 9 Ohio State, 16-13
COLUMBUS, Ohio – Despite outscoring No. 3 Cornell 10-8 in the second half, the ninth-ranked Ohio State men’s lacrosse team suffered a 16-13 setback against the Big Red on Saturday in front of 3,278 at Ohio State Lacrosse Stadium. Cornell is 4-0 on the season while the Buckeyes fall to 3-2.
The Short Story
Sophomore Ed Shean scored four times while fifth-year senior Jack Myers handed out a game-high three assists, but Cornell’s high-powered offense got four goals each from CJ Kirst and Billy Coyle to create enough separation for the win.
In addition to Shean’s four tallies, Scott White, Dillon Magee and Matt Caputo each scored twice. In net, senior Skylar Wahlund stopped 15 shots and Ohio State finished the way with an edge at the faceoff X, winning 19 of 33 total draws.
Before the game, the men’s lacrosse program officially dedicated the flagpole at its new home in honor of SBC (SWCC) Stephen “Tyler” Murphy, a member of the United States Navy who passed away in July of 2022. In 2010, he left active duty to pursue a degree at Ohio State and took an active mentorship role within the men’s lacrosse program.
At halftime, members of the 2003 and 2017 teams were also honored. The 2003 squad was the program’s first to make the NCAA Tournament and the 2017 team advanced to the program’s first-ever national championship game.
How The Goals Were Scored
- A relatively evenly played first quarter ended with Cornell in the lead, 4-2. The Big Red, however, scored the final four goals of the first half to open up a 9-3 halftime lead.
- That run was part of a 5-1 second-quarter advantage as Kirst and Coyle each scored twice in the run.
- Trailing 12-5 midway through the third quarter, Ohio State went on a 3-0 scoring run to close the period, keyed by two goals from Scott White and one in transition by Connor Cmiel.
- Cornell scored twice to open the fourth quarter, pushing its lead to 14-8, and the Buckeyes and Big Red would trade goals over the next three minutes.
- Matt Caputo (twice) and Ed Shean closed out the scoring in the final nine minutes of the fourth quarter.
Shots: Cornell 60, Ohio State 39
Ground Balls: Cornell 36, Ohio State 31
Faceoffs: Ohio State 19-of-33, Cornell 14-of-33
Clears: Ohio State 20-of-23, Cornell 21-of-22
Extra Man: Ohio State 2-for-3, Cornell 2-for-6
Saves: Ohio State (Wahlund) 15, Cornell (Ierlan) 8
Turnovers: Ohio State 20, Cornell 12
Ohio State Scoring: Shean 4-0-4; Myers 0-3-3; White 2-1-3; Eiland 1-1-2; Magee 2-0-2; Caputo 2-0-2; Smith 1-0-1; Cmiel 1-0-1; Lewis 0-1-1; Langermeier 0-1-1
The Buckeyes hit the road next weekend when they head to South Bend, Ind. to face No. 2-ranked Notre Dame beginning at 1 p.m. The game will be aired live on the ACC Network.