Lacrosse Game Sports

Big Green Open Season With Exciting 11-10 Comeback Win at Merrimack


Story Links

Holy Cross

Next Game:

at Holy Cross

2/25/2023 | 1:00 PM

Feb. 25 (Sat) / 1:00 PM

Holy Cross

at Holy Cross

History { element.remove(); }); } else{ let elementsToRemove = document.querySelectorAll(‘.postgame_3_nextgame’); elementsToRemove.forEach(element => { element.remove(); }); } ]]> NORTH ANDOVER, Mass. — Trailing 9-7 early in the fourth quarter, the Dartmouth men’s lacrosse team scored four of the game’s final five goals, capped off by sophomore Colin McGill’s game-winner with 3:02 remaining, to pick up a big 11-10 season-opening win at Merrimack on Saturday afternoon. The victory came over one of just three teams in Division I men’s lacrosse who entered the day at 3-0. 

With the win, Dartmouth improves to 1-0. Merrimack, who was also receiving votes in this week’s national Inside Lacrosse/Media Poll, falls to 3-1.

“It was a good team win,” said Big Green head coach Brendan Callahan. “I don’t think any area for us was exceptionally great today. It looked like a first game for us. We had to fight and battle back. In the third quarter, we turned the ball over a bunch. We faced a bunch of adversity, but to come back like we did against a quality opponent like Merrimack, I’m proud of our guys for getting it done today.”

Senior Tommy Rogan scored his first two goals of the season to begin the late rally, turning a 9-7 deficit into a 9-9 deadlock with 7:17 remaining in the fourth quarter. Freshman Cameron Brown made it three straight Dartmouth goals, in the span of 3:39, to give the Big Green a 10-9 lead — their first lead since 6-5. Merrimack pulled even with 3:23 remaining, then won the ensuing faceoff, but Dartmouth pressure helped lead to a turnover, Rogan collected the groundball and found McGill in front, who finished his fourth goal of the game. That proved to be the game-winner.

McGill finished with a game-high six points behind four goals and two assists. Rogan posted two goals and three assists. A pair of freshmen scored goals in Brown and Emmett Paradine, with Paradine also dishing an assist.
Dartmouth caused 11 of Merrimack’s 20 turnovers, with sophomore Cam Hitchcock and freshman Max LaTorre each posting two. LaTorre, senior Andrew Johnston and fifth year Peter Rizzotti all caused turnovers after McGill gave Dartmouth an 11-10 lead.

Freshman Sam Cooper was strong in goal, making 10 saves in his collegiate debut. Reigning first team All-Ivy Leaguer, senior Mitchell Myers, won 17-of-26 faceoffs with 12 groundballs against Merrimack’s Allyn French, who had won 54 percent of his faceoffs over the first three games this season. Myers won 15-of-19 over the final three quarters.

“We really got a spark with Mitch Myers’ performance,” said Callahan. “He had some big faceoff wins at key times.”

The Warriors jumped out to a quick 2-0 lead just 56 seconds into the contest, but the Big Green had an answer. The teams alternated the next six goals until a 3-0 Dartmouth run in just 2:02 of the second quarter turned a 5-3 deficit into a 6-5 lead after McGill found sophomore Brandon Ventarola cutting in front.

The Dartmouth offense wouldn’t score for the next 15:14, but the defense allowed just two in that stretch. Paradine’s first-career goal tied the score at seven with 4:40 left in the third, but two straight Merrimack goals allowed the Warriors to open a 9-7 lead, setting the stage for Dartmouth’s comeback.

“We played some good situational lacrosse down the stretch at the end of the game to put us over the top,” said Callahan. “That’s usually not great early in the season, but to be able to execute in some key areas situationally was huge.”

For the game, Dartmouth held a 33-26 edge in shots and 46-34 advantage in groundballs. The Big Green were 1-for-2 on the extra man compared to the Warriors’ 0-for-1. Cooper’s 10 saves for Dartmouth came across Merrimack’s Henry Vogt, who made eight. 

The Big Green were able to win despite 27 turnovers, but the Warriors also made 20.

Dartmouth returns to action next Saturday, traveling to Holy Cross to face the Crusaders. Gametime is set for 1 p.m.


Leave a Response