Quinnipiac (1-0) at Brown (0-0)
Saturday, Feb. 18, 2023 | 1:00 PM
Providence, RI | Stevenson-Pincince Field
Watch: ESPN+ | Live Stats: Click Here
PROVIDENCE, RI – Quinnipiac men’s lacrosse aims for its second consecutive win to begin the new season on Saturday, as the Bobcats travel to Brown for a road matchup on ESPN+.
- Quinnipiac men’s lacrosse battled to a 21-12 win over UMass Lowell in the 2023 season opener on Saturday, Feb. 11 in Hamden.
- Steven Germain, Trey Gehen and Justin Robbert paced QU’s offensive attack, as each recorded four goals in the win.
- John DeLucia added three goals and four assists for seven total points, and Dylan Donnery chipped in with two goals and two helpers.
- Demitri George won 23-of-34 battles in the faceoff x, and Nick DiMuccio made nine saves in the Quinnipiac victory.
- 21 goals in a game is the most QU has posted since scoring 24 times in 2002 vs. Binghamton. The Bobcats program record in a single game is 27 goals (4/1/2000 vs. Wagner).
- The Bobcats outscored the River Hawks 14-4 in the first half of action. QU scored nine times in the second quarter of action.
- QU outshot UML 44-29 in total (27-13 in the first half).
MEET THE BOBCATS
- The 2021 & 2022 MAAC Faceoff Special of the Year Demitri George returns for his graduate season with the Bobcats. George won 187-357 faceoff attempts (52.4%) in 2022, and finished 10th nationally in ground balls per game. He also won 115-of-155 faceoff attempts (74.2%) in 2022 – which ranked 2nd in the entire country.
- Goalie Nick DiMuccio also returns for his graduate season at QU after making 13.33 saves per game (9th nationally) in 2022.
- The Bobcats return 7 of their top 9 scorers from a season ago.
- Ryan Donnery (31 points in 2022) and Dylan Donnery (29 points in 2022) are both back for QU to help pace the offense. John DeLucia (27 points last year), Steven Germain (26 points last year) and Jake Tellers (23 points last year) are also returning to QU’s attack unit.
- Nick DiMuccio, Demitri George, Zack Siegel and John DeLucia will serve as captains for QU in 2023.
HEAD COACH MASON POLI
- Mason Poli, a former standout lacrosse player at Bryant University, enters his ninth season with the Quinnipiac coaching staff in 2023 – and his fifth at the helm of the program.
- After serving as an assistant for the Bobcats’ program for four seasons (2015-18), Poli was elevated to Interim Head Coach for the 2019 season. He was then named Men’s Lacrosse Head Coach on May 10, 2019, becoming the Bobcats’ sixth head coach in program history and third at the Division I level.
- In 2019 as Interim Head Coach, Poli led Quinnipiac men’s lacrosse to a 9-7 (5-2 MAAC) record and the program’s third-ever appearance in the MAAC Tournament championship contest. Poli led all first-year Division I head coaches in total wins (9) and winning percentage (.562) in 2019.
- The Bobcats have won 15 games under Poli’s guidance since 2019.
GERMAIN, GEORGE NAMED PRESEASON ALL-MAAC
- Steven Germain (midfield) and Demitri George (FO Specialist) were both selected to the Preseason All-MAAC Team.
- The Bobcats were tabbed sixth in the league’s Preseason Coaches’ Poll
THE 2023 SCHEDULE
- QU’s 2023 slate begins on Saturday, Feb. 11, as the Bobcats play host to UMass Lowell at 12:00 PM in Hamden.
- The Bobcats have 13 contests in total.
- Conference play for the Bobcats on March 11 vs. Canisius at home in Hamden. LIU, Sacred Heart, Wagner, VMI and Mount St. Mary’s have all joined the MAAC ahead of the 2023 season, raising the total number of men’s lacrosse teams in the league to 10.
- Quinnipiac will host eight home matches in total: two in February, four in March, and two in April. The Bobcats home dates are:
– Feb. 11 vs. UMass Lowell
– Feb. 25 vs. Bryant
– March 4 vs. Merrimack
– March 11 vs. Canisius
– March 25 vs. Marist
– March 29 vs. Manhattan
– April 8 vs. Siena
– April 22 vs. LIU
THE MATCHUP: vs. UMASS LOWELL
- Quinnipiac is 1-3 vs. the River Hawks since 2018. UMass Lowell won in 2018, 2019 and 2020, then the Bobcats took the latest meeting between the two programs on 2/12/22.
- QU defeated UMass Lowell 15-14 in last year’s season opener, as Dylan Donnery scored the game-winner with 12 seconds remaining. Will Abbott, Dylan Donnery and Ryan Donnery each scored four goals in the victory for the Bobcats.
- UMass Lowell has been picked to finish seventh in the America East Preseason Poll.
- The River Hawks welcome 11 newcomers to the team ahead of the spring 2023 campaign.
LAST YEAR (2022)
- Quinnipiac went 2-11 overall (1-5 MAAC) last season. Demitri George returns for the Bobcats after being named MAAC Face-Off Specialist of the Year in each of the last two seasons.
- The Bobcats also placed three midfielders on the All-MAAC Team in 2022. Sophomore Steven Germain earned All-MAAC First Team honors, while junior Jake Tellers and senior Will Abbott were named to the All-MAAC Second Team.
For more information/updates on the Quinnipiac men’s lacrosse program, follow the Bobcats on Twitter/Instagram @QU_MLAX or visit www.gobobcats.com