2023 Schedule & Results // 2023 Roster // Final Stats
COLUMBUS, Ohio – A fast-starting Buckeye offense scored 10 times in the first half and improved to 2-0 on the young season as the No. 11 Ohio State men’s lacrosse team earned a 19-12 victory Saturday over Cleveland State at a sun-soaked Ohio State Lacrosse Stadium.
The Short Story
Sophomore Ed Shean had a career day, scoring five times while dishing out an assist to lead a well-balanced offense that scored 16 times through three quarters and generated 42 total shots. Dillon Magee, Mitchell Pehlke and Kyle Borda each scored twice while Richie LaCalandra, Kyle Lewis and Jack Myers chipped in with two assists each.
The Buckeyes’ defense held Cleveland State to just two goals over the first 30 minutes and won the ground ball battle, 41-26. Skylar Wahlund was the winning goalie, making six saves through three quarters before giving way to Oran Gelinas.
“Credit to Cleveland State and thanks to them for coming down this morning,” said head coach Nick Myers. “Coach German does a great job with them and they battled all the way until the end. It was great to see a lot of different scorers and guys out there in the lineup. There were a lot of positives but also a lot of work to be done. We have to get back to it and we’re excited to do so.”
How the Goals Were Scored
- Ohio State scored five times in the first quarter and five more in the second quarter to open its 10-2 halftime advantage.
- Goal scorers in the first 15 minutes were Jack Myers, Connor Mitchell, Kyle Borda, Jason Knox and Ed Shean. Four of those five tallies were assisted, including two by Myers.
- In the second quarter, Shean scored twice to complete his first-half hat trick. Lewis, Connor Cmiel and Dillon Magee also found the back of the net.
- The two teams combined for 10 goals in the third quarter with six coming from Ohio State. The Buckeyes scored four straight to open the half, giving them a 14-2 advantage.
- Fourth-quarter goals from Ohio State came from Mitchell Sandberg, Pehlke and Aidan Kinley.
- In all, 12 different players scored and seven had multiple points.
Shots: Ohio State 42, Cleveland State 31
Ground Balls: Ohio State 41, Cleveland State 26
Faceoffs: Ohio State 17-of-34, Cleveland State 17-of-34
Clears: Ohio State 18-of-20, Cleveland State 17-of-23
Extra Man: Ohio State 1-of-3, Cleveland State 2-of-6
Saves: Cleveland State 9, Ohio State 7
Turnovers: Cleveland State 18, Ohio State 13
Ohio State closes a three-game season-opening homestand next Sunday when they host No. 20 North Carolina at noon inside Ohio State Lacrosse Stadium.
To purchase tickets and/or for more information on Ohio State men’s lacrosse tickets, click HERE. For information on group tickets and experiences, contact the Ohio State Athletic Ticket Sales Team at 1-800-GOBUCKS or email Athletic.firstname.lastname@example.org to speak with an account executive.